To file for an extension of your J-1 exchange visitor status, DS-2019, you must complete the extension forms . Immigration services also requires the following:
- Provide a letter from your department inviting you and outlining its program objectives for VCU.
- Present a statement of financial support from your sponsor that must include:
- Proposed dates of the visit
- Funding source and confirmation that you will be compensated a minimum of $1,250 per month, which must be appropriately documented in the form of a bank statement, letter from the sponsor or a letter by a bank official (An adequate amount of funding must be received during the entire proposed length of stay at VCU.)
- Complete the last page of the downloadable forms if a spouse or children under 18 will accompany you. This requires that additional financial support be included in the financial statement requested above. A minimum of $5,000 per year must be provided for each dependent.